Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
This bestselling book helps readers understand the interrelationships among basic physics concepts and how they fit together to describe our physical world. Real-world physics applications are presented throughout the chapters, including many biomedical applications, to show how physics principles come into play over and over again in our lives. Highlighted Problem Solving Insights sections explain each calculation in detail, guiding readers through the quantitative process. The Concepts at a Glance charts provide a visual representation of the conceptual development of physics principles.
John D. Cutnell is currently Professor Emeritus in the Department of Physics at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.
Kenneth W. Johnson is currently Professor Emeritus in the Department of Physics at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction and Mathematical Concepts.
2. Kinematics In One Dimension.
3. Kinematics In Two Dimensions.
4 . Forces and Newton's Laws of Motion.
5. Dynamics of Uniform Circular Motion.
6. Work and Energy.
7. Impulse and Momentum.
8. Rotational Kinematics.
9. Rotational Dynamics.
10. Simple Harmonic Motion and Elasticity.
12. Temperature and Heat.
13. The Transfer of Heat.
14. The Ideal Gas Law and Kinetic Theory.
16. Waves and Sound.
17. The Principle of Linear Superposition and Interference Phenomena.
18. Electric Forces and Electric Fields.
19. Electric Potential Energy and The Electric Potential.
20. Electric Circuits.
21. Magnetic Forces and Magnetic Fields.
22. Electromagnetic Waves.
23. Alternating Current Circuits.
24. Electromagnetic Waves.
25. The Reflection of Light: Mirrors.
26. The refraction of Light: Lenses and Optical Instruments.
27. Interference and the Wave Nature of Light.
28. Special Relativity.
29. Particles and Waves.
30. The Nature of the Atom.
31. Nuclear Physics and Radioactivity.
32. Ionizing Radiation, Nuclear Energy, and Elementary Particles.
Appendix A: Powers of Ten and Scientific Notation.