Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
The best-selling Finegan, LANGUAGE: ITS STRUCTURE AND USE, Fourth Edition maintains its relevance with new emphasis on the political and social aspects of language including Applications to the Professions.
Table of Contents
Part I: LANGUAGE STRUCTURES
1. Languages and Linguistics
2. Words and Their Parts: Lexicon and Morphology
3. The Sounds of Language: Phonetics
4. The Sound Systems of Language: Phonology
5. The Structure of Phrases and Sentences: Syntax
6. The Study of Meaning: Semantics
7. Language Universals and Language Typology
Part II: LANGUAGE USE
8. Information Structure and Pragmatics
9. Speech Acts and Conversation
10. Language Variation across Situations of Use: Registers
11. Language Variations among Social Groups: Dialects
Part III: LANGUAGE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT
13. Language Change over Time: Historical Linguistics