Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
This highly praised, and top selling book on developing advanced grammar skills is a comprehensive description of sentence structure that encourages its readers to recognize and use their innate language expertise as they study the systematic nature of sentence grammar. A practical blend of the most useful elements of traditional, structural, and transformational grammar, this book emphasizes whole structures, most specifically the ten basic sentence patterns introduced in Chapter 2. Two key features separate this book from others: its clear organization and its user-friendly, accessible language. Users appreciate the self-teaching quality that incremental exercises provide throughout the chapters, with answers at the end of the book. For anyone interested in improving their grammar.
Table of Contents
1. The Study of Grammar: An Overview. Modern Linguistics. The Issue of Correctness. The Question of Standards. Language Variety. Language Change. Language in the Classroom. Key Terms in Chapter 1. Classroom Applications.
II. THE GRAMMAR OF BASIC SENTENCES.
2. Sentence Patterns. Chapter Preview. Words and Phrases: An Overview. Sentence Structure. The Sentence Slots. The Be Patterns. The Linking Verb Patterns. The Optional Slots. The Intransitive Verb Pattern. The Transitive Verb Pattern. Compound Sentences. Exceptions to the Ten Sentence Patterns. Imperative Sentences (Commands). Punctuation and the Sentence Patterns. Diagramming the Sentence Patterns. Notes on the Diagrams. Key Terms in Chapter 2. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
3. Expanding the Main Verb. Chapter Preview. The Five Verb Forms. Auxiliary-Verb Combinations. The Modal Auxiliaries. The Subjunctive Mood. Using the Verb Forms. Exceptions to the Rule. The “Stand-In” Auxiliary Do. The Passive Voice. The Verb System of African American Vernacular English. Key Terms in Chapter 3. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
4. Transforming the Basic Program. Chapter Review. Interrogative Sentences. The “Stand-In” Auxiliary. Emphatic Sentences. Imperative Sentences. Exclamatory Sentences. Other Sentence Transformations. Key Terms in Chapter 4. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
III. EXPANDING THE SENTENCE. Form and Function.
5. Modifiers of the Verb: Adverbials. Chapter Review. Adverbs. Prepositional Phrases. Nouns and Noun Phrases. Verb Phrases. Clauses. Punctuation of Adverbials. Key Terms in Chapter 5. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
6. Modifiers of the Noun: Adjectives. Chapter Preview. The Headword. The Prenoun Modifiers. The Postnoun Modifiers. Punctuation of Clauses and Participles. Multiple Modifiers. Other Postnoun Modifiers. Key Terms in Chapter 7. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
7. The Noun Phrase Functions: Nominals. Chapter Preview. The Nominal Slots. Appositives. Noun Phrase Substitutes. Gerunds. Infinitives. Nominal Clauses. Nominals as Delayed Subjects. Key Terms in Chapter 7. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
8. Sentence Modifiers. Chapter Preview. Nouns of Direct Address: The Vocatives. Interjections. Subordinate Clauses. Absolute Phrases. Appositives. Relative Clauses. Key Terms in Chapter 8. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
9. Coordination. Chapter Preview. Coordination Within the Sentence. Coordinating Complete Sentences. Key Terms in Chapter 9. Sentences for Practice. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
IV. WORDS AND WORD CLASSES.
10. Morphemes. Chapter Review. Bases and Affixes. Bound and Free Morphemes. Derivational and Inflectional Morphemes. Allomorphs. Homonyms. Key Terms in Chapter 10. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
11. The Form Classes. Chapter Preview. Nouns. Verbs. Adjectives. Adverbs. Key Terms in Chapter 11. Questions for Discussions. Classroom Applications.
12. The Structure Classes. Chapter Preview. Determiners. Auxiliaries. Qualifiers. Prepositions. Conjunctions. Interrogatives. Expletives. Particles. Key Terms in Chapter 12. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
13. Pronouns. Chapter Review. Personal Pronouns. Reflexive Pronouns. Intensive Pronouns. Reciprocal Pronouns. Demonstrative Pronouns. Relative Pronouns. Interrogative Pronouns. Indefinitive Pronouns. Key Terms in Chapter 13. Questions for Discussion. Classroom Applications.
V. GRAMMAR FOR WRITERS.
14. Rhetorical Grammar. Chapter Preview. Sentence Patterns. Sentence Transformations. Choosing Verbs. The Abstract Subject. The Shifting Adverbials. Style. Avoiding Sexism in Language. The Rhetoric of Punctuation. Key Terms in Chapter 14.
VI. GLOSSARY OF GRAMMATICAL TERMS.
Appendix. An Introduction to Transformational Grammar.