Because Knetbooks knows college students. Our rental program is designed to save you time and money. Whether you need a textbook for a semester, quarter or even a summer session, we have an option for you. Simply select a rental period, enter your information and your book will be on its way!
To Instructors: About This Book.
To Students: About the Workshop.
1. Whatever Works: The Writing Process.
The Critic: A Caution.
Choosing a Subject.
A Word About Theme.
2. The Tower and the Net: S... MORE
Conflict, Crisis, and Resolution.
Connection and Disconnection.
Story Form as a Check Mark.
Story and Plot.
The Short Story and the Novel.
Reading as Writers.
3. Seeing is Believing: Showing and Telling.
The Active Voice.
4. Building Character: Characterization, Part I.
The Indirect Methods of Character Presentation.
Interpretation By Another Character.
5. The Flesh Made Word: Characterization, Part II.
The Direct Methods of Character Presentation.
Format and Style.
Text and Subtext.
Conflict Between Methods of Presentation.
Creating a Group or Crowd.
Character: A Summary.
6. Long Ago and Far Away: Fictional Place and Time.
Setting and Atmosphere.
Harmony and Conflict Between Character and Background.
Setting and Character.
Setting and Emotion.
Symbolic and Suggestive Setting.
Alien and Familiar Setting.
An Exercise in Setting.
Some Aspects of Narrative Time.
Summary and Scene.
Revising Summary and Scene.
Further Thoughts on Openings and Endings.
7. Call Me Ishmael: Point of View, Part I.
In What Form?
8. Assorted Liars: Point of View, Part II.
At What Distance?
Spatial and Temporal Distance.
With What Limitations?
The Unreliable Narrator.
An Exercise in Unreliability.
Unreliability in Other Viewpoints.
9. Is and Is Not: Comparison.
Types of Metaphor and Simile.
Metaphoric Faults to Avoid.
10. I Gotta Use Words When I Talk to You: Theme.
Idea and Morality in Theme.
How Fictional Elements Contribute to Theme.
11. Play It Again, Sam: Revision.
Worry It and Walk Away.
Further Suggestions For Revision.
Examples Of The Revision Process.
Appendix A: Kinds Of Fiction.
Appendix B: Suggestions For Further Reading.