I. THE PROFESSION OF SOCIAL WORK.
1. Social Work: A Helping Profession.
Who Are Social Workers?
What Do Social Workers Do?
What Is the Purpose of Social Work?
How Are Social Work and Social ... MORE
How Is Social Work an Empowering Profession?
2. An Evolving Profession.
The Emergence of Social Work as a Profession.
Defining Social Work as a Profession.
The Quest for Professional Status.
The Common Base of Social Work Practice.
Tenets for the Social Work Profession.
3. Social Work and Social Systems.
The Ecosystems Perspective.
Client Systems in Social Work.
Social Work Methods.
4. The Social Service Delivery System.
Social Service Settings.
The Funding of Services.
Self-Help Groups as Resources.
Service Delivery Issues.
II. SOCIAL WORK PERSPECTIVES.
5. Values and Ethics in Social Work.
Values and Ethics.
The Foundation of Professional Social Work Values.
The Value Context of Social Work.
Social Work Codes of Ethics.
Ethical Principles for Social Work.
Ethical Preferences for Empowerment Social Work.
6. Social Work and Social Justice.
Human Rights in Society.
Social Injustice: The “Isms.”
The Bases of Social Injustice.
Effects of Social Injustice.
Opportunities, Obstacles, and Empowerment.
Social Work's Mandate for Social Justice.
7. Diversity and Social Work.
Diversity and Minority Status.
Racial and Ethnic Diversity.
Social Work with Diverse Populations.
III. GENERALIST SOCIAL WORK.
8. Empowerment Social Work Practice.
The Empowerment Base of Social Work Practice.
Implementation: Intervention and Evaluation.
9. Social Work Functions and Roles.
A Generalist Approach.
10. Social Work and Social Policy.
Social Policy and Political Ideologies.
Social Work and Social Policy.
Public Welfare Policy in the Twentieth Century.
Current Public Welfare Programs.
IV. CONTEMPORARY ISSUES IN FIELDS OF PRACTICE.
11. Social Work and Poverty, Homelessness, Unemployment, and Criminal Justice
Social Work and Poverty.
Social Work and Homelessness.
Social Work and Unemployment.
Social Work in Criminal Justice.
12. Social Work in Health, Rehabilitation, and Mental Health.
Social Work in Health Systems.
Social Work and Genetics.
Social Work and AIDS.
Social Work and Physical Disabilities.
Social Work and Developmental Disabilities.
Social Work and Mental Health.
Social Work and Chemical Dependency.
13. Social Work with Families and Youths.
The Contemporary Family.
Child Welfare Services.
Social Work in the Schools.
Specialized Services for Adolescents.
14. Adult and Aging Services.
Services for Adults.
Intimate Partner Violence.
Services for Older Adults.