Because Knetbooks knows college students. Our rental program is designed to save you time and money. Whether you need a textbook for a semester, quarter or even a summer session, we have an option for you. Simply select a rental period, enter your information and your book will be on its way!
1. Ideas, Definitions, and Trends.
Social Studies Defined.
The Social Studies Curriculum.
The Constructivist Environment for Learning.
A Good Social Studies Teacher.
2. Building the Foundations for Social Studies.
Research Findings that You Ought to Know About.
Children's Natural Tendencies.
Characteristics of Higher Achieving Students.
3. The Knowledge Base for Elementary Social... MORE
The Nature of Knowledge.
The National Council for the Social Studies Standards as a Guide to the Knowledge Base.
The Social Science Disciplines.
4. Theory: Developmental and Psychological Dimensions.
5. Experience, Constructivism, and Reflective Thinking.
Contrasting Perspectives for Social Studies.
The Emotional/Intellectual Landscape.
6. Planning for Learning.
The Teacher as a Decision Maker.
How to Develop a Unit: The Design.
Instructional Design and Development: Steps and Elements.
A Sample Unit: Archeology.
7. Teaching and Learning Strategies.
Student Perceptions of Social Studies.
8. Assessing Student Progress.
Assessment: An Overview.
Assessing Your Own Effectiveness.
9. Inquiry and Discovery: Children as Researchers.
Inquiry and Discovery Learning.
10. Teaching and Learning Responsible Citizenship.
What are the Roles of the Citizen in American Democracy?
The Role of Social Knowledge.
Decision Making: Classroom Civics Lessons.
The Research Base.
The Meaning of Citizenship.
11. Teaching Values, Character Education, and Moral Development.
A Values Perspective.
The Moral Life of Schools.
12. Making and Interpreting Maps.
Strategies for Making and Interpreting Maps.
13. Social Studies and Curriculum Integration.
Projects and Themes for Learning.
The Nature of Interdisciplinary Projects.
Kinds of Projects.
A Sample Interdisciplinary Project. Constructing a Greenbelt.
Significant Themes for Integration.
14. Social Studies and Literacy.
Traveling Down Memory Lane.
Becoming a Reader.
Writing and Social Studies.
Social Studies and Language Development.
The Spoken Word.
15. Social Studies and Current Events.
A Current Events Discussion.
Criteria for Successful Current Events Sessions.
Focusing on Students' Interests.
Electronic Current Events.
Current Events Strategies.
A Current Events Mini Unit.
16. Cooperative Environments: The Hidden Curriculum.
Three Goal Structures for Social Studies.
Role-Play Example: Westward Expansion.
The Physical Environment.