World Civilizations The Global Experience, Volume 1
- ISBN 13:
- ISBN 10:
- Edition: 6th
- Format: Paperback
- Copyright: 01/03/2010
- Publisher: Pearson
- Newer Edition
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Designed for introductory-level survey courses in World History.
The primary goal of World Civilizations is to present a truly global history–from the development of agriculture and herding to the present. Using a unique periodization, this book divides the main periods of human history according to changes in the nature and extent of global contacts.
This global world history text emphasizes the major stages in the interactions among different peoples and societies, while at the same time assessing the development of major societies. Encompassing social and cultural as well as political and economic history, the book examines key civilizations in world history. World Civilizations balances this discussion of independent developments in the world's major civilizations with comparative analysis of the results of global contact.
New To This Edition
- New! The most consistently novel feature of this sixth edition involves the enhanced focus on the evolution of interregional and ultimately global contacts. Each Part Opener clearly discusses the nature of contacts in the time period involved, and from the postclassical period onward this involves also the assessment of basic systems of interaction and exchange. This theme is recaptured in chapters on individual societies but also in the Part Retrospective.
- New! Each Part Opener clearly identifies leading themes and Big Concepts, and chapters on the major regions allow the concepts to be explored more fully and compared across regional lines.
- New! Chapter Updates: 20th century materials have been substantially revised, with particular attention to greater clarity and emphasis on the end of the Cold War and ensuing developments. The emergence of globalization, and resistance to globalization, have also been reexamined. All of the other chapters have been reviewed and updated as necessary.
- New! In-text Pronunciation Guide: New to the sixth edition is a pronunciation guide, which is intended to help familiarize students with new terminology by providing in-text pronunciations of key words and phrases that will help students become comfortable when discussing text passages. Pronunciations are also included in the glossary at the end of the text.
- New! Complete Redesign: The sixth edition of World Civilizations: The Global Experience has been thoroughly redesigned. The student-friendly text, maps, and global orientation help students easily recognize and distinguish geographical features and areas. Maps in the part introductions highlight major developments during each period and familiarize students with all areas of the world. Full-color photos help bring history to life.