Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
This text provides a question and answer format which addresses every aspect of school law from a teacher's and school administrator's perspective. Clearly written and useful to both teachers and school administrators, this text focuses on legal issues reflecting current trends that are important to educators in the 21'st century. The authors designed the text for school professionals seeking an easy to use reference on every important area of school law, including student and employee rights, the impact of the No Child Left Behind Act on those rights, and how to understand their legal rights and responsibilities. This up-to-date presentation provides insights into laws governing education as well as court decisions from all 50 states and the federal courts. Guiding legal principles are presented in such a way that educators can easily understand and follow today's trends in the law governing education.
Table of Contents
1. Teachers and the Legal System
I. The Legal Aspects of Teaching
2. Do I Have a Contract?
3. How Secure Is My Employment?
4. How Does Collective Bargaining Effect Me?
5 . When Am I Liable?
6. What Constitutes Slander and Libel?
7. How Should I Deal with Child Abuse and Neglect?
8. How Does Copyright Law Affect Me?
II. Teachers' and Students' Rights
9. When Can Schools Restrict Freedom of Expression?
10. When Can Schools Limit Religious Freedom?
11. When Can Schools Restrict Freedom of Association?
12. What Are My Rights Under Due Process?
13. How Free Is My Personal Life?
14. Are Teachers and Students Protected Against Racial Discrimination?
15. Are Teachers and Students Protected Against Sex Discrimination?
16. Are There Special Rights for Students with Disabilities?
17. Who Controls Student Records?
18. Must All Children Go to School?
19. When Can Schools Restrict Personal Appearance?
20. What Issues Will Face the Courts in the Next Decade?
Appendix A: Selected Provisions of the U.S. Constitution.
Appendix B: Major Civil Rights Laws Affecting Schools.