Steel Metallurgy Properties, Specifications and Applications
- ISBN 13:
- ISBN 10:
- Edition: 1st
- Format: Hardcover
- Copyright: 01/28/2015
- Publisher: McGraw-Hill Education
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
This highly illustrated resource covers the characteristics, properties, specifications, heat treatment, and application of steels for engineering students, non-metallurgical engineers, and technicians.
There’s a saying that “steel makes the world.” From a tiny pin in a sewing kit to home appliances to cars to bridges, steel is everywhere. While there are numerous books on steel, few, if any, address the true application of steels in a practical manner. This book was written to fill that gap.
Divided into four parts, Steel Metallurgy: Properties, Specifications, and Applications covers the basic metallurgical facts and characteristics, properties, standards, and grades of steel. Classifications of steel based on standards and structural engineering are then discussed, followed by heat treatment and welding of steels. The book then focuses on the application of steel and its reliability and failures, and shows, through numerous illustrations and case studies, how it’s processed and used for various purposes. Armed with the information in this book, metallurgical and engineering students will become truly “industry ready.”
- Case studies and illustrations show steel being used in practical, everyday applications, making the book user friendly yet comprehensive
- Lays the ground work for steel selection, and discusses the methods of selection
- Contains appendices with steel grades, compositions, and standards; physical data and conversions; temperature, hardness, and work/energy conversion tables
- Includes a glossary of important metallurgical terms