Mecca the Blessed, Medina the Radiant: The Holiest Cities of Islam
- ISBN 13:
- ISBN 10:
- Edition: Reprint
- Format: Hardcover
- Copyright: 11/05/2013
- Publisher: Tuttle Pub
Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
This book allows both Muslims and those unfamiliar with the Islamic faith complete access to the holiest sites of one of the world's major religions, practiced by a quarter of the world's population but often misunderstood in the west.
Photographer Ali Kazuyoshi Namachi, a Muslim convert from Japan, garnered the full support of Saudi Arabian authorities—rarely given—to shoot in cities where photography is strictly controlled and non-Muslims are not allowed.
An expansive work of photojournalism, Mecca the Blessed, Medina the Radiant includes:
- 140 full-color, never-before-seen photographs
- Mystical places and scenes of Islam
- Breathtaking aerial photographs of the Arabian terrain
- Vistas of teeming crowds of worshippers surrounding the Kacbah, Mecca's sacred center
- Intense portraits of faithful Muslims in prayer
- Magnificent architecture reflecting the faith of the believers
- Archival illustrations
Text by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, one of the most highly regarded scholars of Islam, enhances the stunning Islamic holy city photographs to illuminate many aspects of Islamic belief that have remained enigma to non-Muslims—until now.