Identity Theft Alert 10 Rules You Must Follow to Protect Yourself from America's #1 Crime
- ISBN 13:
- ISBN 10:
- Edition: 1st
- Format: Paperback
- Copyright: 07/11/2014
- Publisher: FT Press
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Protect yourself from identity theft! Nearly 17 million Americans were victimized by identity theft in 2012 alone: for 13 straight years, it has been America's #1 consumer crime. No one is immune: children, the elderly and even the dead have been victimized. Identity theft can be high-tech, low-tech, or even no tech, via "dumpster diving." You're vulnerable, and you need to act.
Fortunately, you can take practical steps to safeguard your identity right now. In Identity Theft Alert , award-winning author and attorney Steve Weisman shows you exactly what to do, and how to do it. Equally important, he also tells you what to stop doing: the common, inadvertent behaviors that could be setting you up as a victim.
Weisman starts with a clear-eyed assessment of the problem, helping you understand just how much risk you face. Next, he helps you understand, anticipate, and prevent all these frightening forms of identity theft:
- Identity theft via Facebook and other social media
- Identity theft via your iPhone or Android smartphone
- Theft of your credit or debit cards, and other access to your finances
- Crime sprees performed in your name
- Medical identity theft that could lead to you getting the wrong treatment – and could even kill you
- The fast-growing scourge of income tax identity theft, including stolen refunds
Don't be the next victim: read this book, follow its step-by-step advice, and protect yourself!