Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
"Family Communication: Cohesion and Change" examines the communication processes within families and how they affect and are affected by larger social systems. By viewing the family as a communication system with identifiable patterns, the authors encourage the reader to observe family interaction patterns analytically and relate communication theories to family interaction. Using a framework of family functions, first-person narratives, and current research, "Family Communication: Cohesion and Change" emphasizes the diversity of today' s families in terms of structure, ethnic patterns, and developmental experiences.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to the Family.
2. Framework for Family Communication.
3. The Family as a System.
4. Communication Patterns and the Creation of Family Meanings.
5. Symbolic Meanings and Communication: Family Rituals, Currencies, and Stories.
6. Intimacy and Closeness within Families.
7. Communication and Family Roles and Types.
9. Decision Making.
10. Communication and Family Conflict.
11. Communication and Family Stress: Developmental Issues.
12. Family Communication and Unpredictable Stress.
13. Communication within Various Family Forms.
14. Contextual Dimensions of Family Communication.