Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
This text focuses on the diversity of environmental, biological, and cultural factors, and their dynamic interplay in child and adolescent development. The authors have integrated examples of diversity throughout the text, in the domains of physical, psychological and cultural differences, gender, race, ethnicity, and social and economic status. Community and social issues are also covered extensively, to help students think critically about their world. As many students are pursuing careers as teachers, care providers or parents, the authors focus the material on these real-world applications and demonstrate how theory and research matter for what students need in their own lives.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents:
All chapters include “The Scientific Impact: Interpreting Research,” “The Social Impact: Debating the Issue,” and “The Practical Impact: Nurturing Children” features and conclude with “Sum it Up,” “Key Terms and Concepts,” and “Try it Out.”
I. INTRODUCTION TO CHILD DEVELOPMENT.
1. Introduction to the Study of Children's Development. What Is Child Development? What Are Some Critical Issues in the Study of Child Development? What Are the Historical Roots of the Study of Child Development? What Changes in Contemporary American Life Influence the Study of Child Development? Can We Capture the Diversity of Children's Development?
2. Understanding Development. How Do Theories Explain Child Development? What Are the Major Biology-Based Theories of Child Development? What Are the Major Psychoanalytic Theories of Child Development? What Are the Major Environment-Based Theories of Child Development? What Are the Major Cognition-Based Theories of Child Development? What Are the Major Contextual Theories of Child Development? How Is Child Development Studied?
II. PRENATAL AND NEONATAL DEVELOPMENT.
3. Genetics and Prenatal Development. How Do Genes Influence Development? What Are Common Chromosomal Abnormalities? How Are Genetic Diseases Detected? How Does Prenatal Development Proceed? What Conditions Influence Pregnancy and Prenatal Development?
4. Birth and Neonatal Development. How Is a Baby Born? How Is Childbirth Experienced? What Are the Characteristics of a Newborn? How Does Early Brain Development Proceed? How Do Neonates Perceive Their Worlds? Why Are Some Newborns at Risk? Activities and Applications Relating to Pregnancy and Neonates.
III. INFANT AND TODDLER DEVELOPMENT.
5. Physical and Cognitive Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood. How Do Infants and Toddlers Develop Physically? What Factors Influence Infant Health and Safety? How Do Infants' Perceptual Abilities Develop? How Do Infants and Toddlers Learn and Remember? How Do Cognitive Abilities Develop During Infancy and Toddlerhood? How Do Infants and Toddlers Develop Language Skills? How Is Children's Language Acquisition Explained?
6. Social and Emotional Development in Infancy and Toddlerhood. How Do Emotions Develop During Infancy and Toddlerhood? How Does Temperament Influence Development During Infancy and Toddlerhood? How Do Parent-Infant Attachments Influence Development? How Does Day Care Influence Infants' and Toddlers' Development? Why Are Children Abused and Neglected?
IV. EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT.
7. Physical, Cognitive, and Language Development in Early Childhood. How Do Children's Bodies and Motor Skills Develop During Early Childhood? What Are the Nutritional and Health Issues for Young Children? How Do Young Children Think and Solve Problems? What Changes Occur in Young Children's Language Development During Early Childhood? Activities and Applications Relating to Young Children.
8. Social and Emotional Development in Early Childhood. How Does Self-Awareness Change During Early Childhood? How Do Young Children Develop a Concept of Gender? What Are the Contemporary Theories of Gender Development? How Do Emotions Develop During Early Childhood? How Do Parenting Behaviors Influence Young Children's Development? How Does Divorce Affect Young Children's Development? How Do Peer and Sibling Relationships Develop During Early Childhood? How Does Television Influence Young Children's Emotional and Social Development?
V. LATE CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT.
9. Physical, Cognitive, and Language Development in Late Childhood. How Do Children Develop Physically During Late Childhood? How Do Older Children Think and Solve Problems? How Do Language and Literacy Develop During the School Years? What Characteristics Define Children's Intelligence and Creativity? How Do Older Children Understand the Social World? How Does Schooling Influence Children's Cognitive Development? How Do Schools Address Students' Special Needs? How Do Family and Culture Influence Children's Intellectual Development?
10. Social and Emotional Development in Late Childhood. How Do Emotions Develop During Late Childhood? What Emotional and Psychological Disturbances Affect Children in Late Childhood? How Do Children's Family Relationships Change During Late Childhood? What Factors Influence Older Children's Peer Relationships? How Does School Affect Older Children's Social and Emotional Development? What Changes Take Place in Moral Development During Late Childhood?
VI. EARLY ADOLESCENT DEVELOPMENT.
11. Physical and Cognitive Development in Early Adolescence. What Is Early Adolescence? How Do Physical Growth and Sexual Maturation Occur During Early Adolescence? What Are Health Concerns for Young Adolescents? How Do Young Adolescents Think and Solve Problems? How Does School Influence Early Adolescent Development?
12. Social and Emotional Development in Early Adolescence. How Do Young Adolescents View Themselves? How Do Adolescents Form an Identity? How Do Family Relationships Change During Early Adolescence? What Are the Characteristics of Early Adolescent Peer Relationships? How Do Mass Media Influence Young Adolescents' Development?
VII. LATE ADOLESCENT DEVELOPMENT.
13. Physical and Cognitive Development in Late Adolescence. What Are the Health and Safety Issues During Late Adolescence? What Changes Occur in Older Adolescents' Thinking and Reasoning? What Gender Differences Are Found in Adolescents' Cognitive Abilities and Achievement? What Factors Contribute to Dropping Out of School?
14. Social and Emotional Development in Late Adolescence. How Do Older Adolescents Develop Autonomy? How Does Sexuality Change During Late Adolescence? What Types of Behavior Problems Occur During Late Adolescence? How Does Employment Affect Older Adolescents? What Factors Influence Adolescents' Vulnerability and Resiliency?