Note: Not guaranteed to come with supplemental materials (access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.)
Extend Your Rental at Any Time
Need to keep your rental past your due date? At any time before your due date you can extend or purchase your rental through your account.
Sorry, this item is currently unavailable.
Designed for use in the laboratory component of introductory general biology courses, this lab manual contains 41 exercises that will allow students to work independently from the professor to enhance learning. Each exercise in this lab manual: States learning objectives. Describes necessary background information to prepare students for the activities that will follow. Lists the required material for each activity in the exercise. Provides a laboratory report for each exercise so students can record observations, data, and conclusions. The six diversity exercises include a minipracticum section on each laboratory report so students are challenged to identify organisms based on the recognition of characteristics. Book jacket.
Table of Contents
1. Orientation. 2. The Microscope.
II. CELL BIOLOGY.
3. The Cell. 4. Chemical Aspects. 5. Diffusion and Osmosis. 6. Enzymes. 7. Photosynthesis. 8. Cellular Respiration. 9. Cell Division.
III. DIVERSITY OF ORGANISMS.
10. Prokaryotes and Protists. 11. Fungi. 12. Green, Brown, and Red Algae. 13. Terrestrial Plants. 14. Simple Animals. 15. Mollusks, Segmented Worms, and Arthropods. 16. Echinoderms and Chordates.
IV. ANIMAL BIOLOGY.
17. Dissection of the Frog. 18. Dissection of the Fetal Pig. 19. Blood and Circulation. 20. Gas Exchange. 21. Digestion. 22. Excretion. 23. Neural Control. 24. Sensory Perception in Humans. 25. Chemical Control in Animals. 26. The Skeletal System. 27. Muscles and Movement. 28. Reproduction in Vertebrates. 29. Fertilization and Development. 30. Early Embryology of the Chick.
V. PLANT BIOLOGY.
31. Structure of Flowering Plants. 32. Transport in Plants. 33. Chemical Control in Plants.
VI. HEREDITY AND EVOLUTION.
34. Heredity. 35. Molecular and Chromosomal Genetics. 36. DNA Fingerprinting. 37. Evolution. 38. Evolutionary Mechanisms.
VII. ECOLOGY AND BEHAVIOR.
39. Ecological Relationships. 40. Population Growth. 41. Animal Behavior.
VIII. LABORATORY REPORTS.
Appendix A. Common Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words. Appendix B. Common Metric Units and Temperature Conversions. Appendix C. Oil-Immersion Technique. Appendix D. The Classification of Organisms.