Designing a brochure or web site without an art background? Step away from the computer and read this breezy introduction to visual communications first. Written for non-designers, White Space is Not Your Enemy is a practical graphic design and layout text introducing the concepts and practices necessary for producing effective visual communications across a variety of formats, from print to Web.
This beautifully illustrated, full-color book covers the basics to help you develop your eye and produce attractive work. The authors have provided a wealth of information and beautiful examples that guide the reader in the process of designing for print, web, or multimedia. White Space Is Not Your Enemy is in itself a testimony to the principles of layout and design that it espouses, and is a worthy instructional guide for both the lay person and the design student or professional.
- The basics of effective design that communicates its intended message
- Pre-design planning
- 13 Layout Sins to avoid
- Basic typography
- Working with color
- Storyboarding for video, Web, and presentions
- Information graphics
- Mini Art School--all the basics in one chapter
- Outputting your work
- Finally--the basics of layout, design, and visual communication for print and web in one easy-to-digest book!
- "Try This" sections in each chapter include fun, hands-on activities to develop skills.
- The companion web site includes text and photo support material; video clips that put the principles in practice; interactive multimedia components; and links.