I. JUMPING IN.
1. The Writer as Reader: Reading and Responding.
2. The Reader as Writer: Drafting and Writing.
3. Two Forms of Criticism: Explication and Analysis.
4. Other Kinds of Writing About Literature.
II. STANDING BACK: THINKING CRITICALLY ABOUT LITERATURE.
5. What Is Literature?
6. What Is Interpretation?
7. What Is Evaluation?
8. Writing About Literature: An Overview.
9. Writing About Fiction: The World of the Story.
10. Writing About Drama.
11. Writing About Poetry.
12. Writing About an Author in Depth.
IV. INSIDE: STYLE, FORMAT, AND SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS.
13. Style and Format.
14. Writing a Research Paper.
15. New Approaches to the Research Paper: Literature, History, and the World Wide Web.
16. Essay Examinations.
Appendix A: Two Stories.
James Joyce, Araby.
Eudora Welty, A Worn Path.
Appendix B: Literary Research: Print and Electronic Resources.
Appendix C: Glossary of Literary Terms.
Index of Authors, Titles, and First Lines of Poems.
Index of Literary Terms.