FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYSON EVERY ORDER!
Because Knetbooks knows college students. Our rental program is designed to save you time and money. Whether you need a textbook for a semester, quarter or even a summer session, we have an option for you. Simply select a rental period, enter your information and your book will be on its way!
“The acquisition of language is essential to children's cognitive and social development.” From the NAEYC position statement, November 1995.
Readers of this book will receive a solid foundation for understanding language development from birth to age eight. The text supplies a basic overview of phonetics, semantic, syntactic, morphemic, and pragmatic aspects of language knowledge, while also providing practical suggestions for interactions with children and templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development. The appendices provide supplementary information on additional readings. The new edition has been extensively revised with coverage of the latest research and hot topics in the field such as:
New To This Edition:
- Updates the section on the role of brain maturation in language development--Provides awareness of the connections between physical, cognitive, and language development.
- Describes the techniques used by researchers to discover the perceptual abilities of infants to distinguish speech sounds and patterns of intonation—This helps students understand the complexities of research with very young children.
- Provides templates for observing and documenting infant and toddler language development in the assessments chapter—This shows practical ways for teachers to begin to systematically observe individual children’s language development.
- Includes guidelines and strategies for interacting with English language learners at each developmental level, providing practical ways in which teachers can enhance language development among ELLs.
- Reviews current research on autism and its connection to early language development.