Because Knetbooks knows college students. Our rental program is designed to save you time and money. Whether you need a textbook for a semester, quarter or even a summer session, we have an option for you. Simply select a rental period, enter your information and your book will be on its way!
Chapters conclude with “Summary,” “For Discussion,” and “Further Information.”
I. COMMUNICATION AND INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE.
1. Introduction to Intercultural Competence.
The Imperative for Intercultural Competence
The Challenge of Communicating in an Intercultural World.
2. Culture and Intercultural Communication.
3. Intercultural Comm... MORE
The United States as an Intercultural Community.
Competence and Intercultural Communication.
Basic Tools for Improving Intercultural Competence.
II. CULTURAL DIFFERENCES IN COMMUNICATION.
4. Cultural Patterns and Communication: Foundations.
Defining Cultural Patterns.
Components of Cultural Patterns.
Characteristics of Cultural Patterns.
Cultural Patterns and Intercultural Competence.
5. Cultural Patterns and Communication: Taxonomies.
Taxonomies of Cultural Patterns.
Cultural Taxonomies and Intercultural Competence.
6. Cultural Identity, Cultural Biases, and Intercultural Communication.
Becoming an Interculturally Competent Communicator.
Identity, Biases, Contact, and Intercultural Competence.
III. CODING INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION.
7. Nonverbal Intercultural Communication.
Definition of Nonverbal Codes.
Cultural Universals in Nonverbal Communication.
Cultural Variations in Nonverbal Communication.
Nonverbal Messages in Intercultural Communication.
Synchrony of Nonverbal Communication Codes.
Nonverbal Communication and Intercultural Competence.
8. Verbal Intercultural Communication.
The Power of Language in Intercultural Communication.
Definition of Verbal Codes.
Language, Thought, Culture, and Intercultural Communication.
Verbal Codes and Intercultural Competence.
9. The Effects of Code Usage in Intercultural Communication.
Preferences in the Organization of Verbal Codes.
Cultural Variations in Persuasion.
Cultural Variations in the Structure of Conversations.
Effects of Code Usage on Intercultural Competence.
IV. COMMUNICATION IN INTERCULTURAL RELATIONSHIPS.
10. Intercultural Competence in Interpersonal Relationships.
Cultural Variations in Interpersonal Relationships.
The Maintenance of Face in Interpersonal Relationships.
Improving Intercultural Relationships.
Interpersonal Relationships and Intercultural Competence.
11. Episodes, Contexts, and Intercultural Interactions.
Social Episodes in Intercultural Relationships.
Contexts for Intercultural Communication.
Episodes, Contexts, and Intercultural Competence.
12. The Potential for Intercultural Competence.
The Ethics of Intercultural Competence.
The Perils and Prospects for Intercultural Competence.