FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYSON EVERY ORDER!
Because Knetbooks knows college students. Our rental program is designed to save you time and money. Whether you need a textbook for a semester, quarter or even a summer session, we have an option for you. Simply select a rental period, enter your information and your book will be on its way!
Environment: The Science behind the Stories continues to revolutionize the environmental science course with integrated central case studies and real-life stories that provide you with a tangible and engaging framework for understanding science. The newly revised Fifth Edition offers a highly effective integration between text and media to emphasize scientific literacy and data analysis skills and encourages you to think critically about environmental issues.
I. FOUNDATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
1. Science and Sustainability: An Introduction to Environmental Science
2. Earth’s Physical Systems: Matter, Energy, and Geology
3. Evolution, Biodiversity, and Population Ecology
4. Species Interactions and Community Ecology
5. Environmental Systems and Ecosystem Ecology
6. Ethics, Economics, and Sustainable De... MORE
7. Environmental Policy: Making Decisions and Solving Problems
II. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE SEARCH FOR SOLUTIONS
8. Human Population
9. Soil and Agriculture
10. Agriculture, Biotechnology, and the Future of Food
11. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
12. Forests, Forest Management, and Protected Areas
13. The Urban Environment: Creating Sustainable Cities
14. Environmental Health and Toxicology
15. Freshwater Systems and Resources
16. Marine and Coastal Systems and Resources
17. Atmospheric Science, Air Quality, and Pollution Control
18. Global Climate Change
19. Fossil Fuels, Their Impacts, and Energy Conservation
20. Conventional Energy Alternatives
21. New Renewable Energy Alternatives
22. Managing Our Waste
23. Minerals and Mining
24. Sustainable Solutions
Jay H. Withgott
Jay H. Withgott has authored Essential Environment and its parent volume, Environment: The Science behind the Stories, since their inception. In dedicating himself to these books, he works to keep abreast of a diverse and rapidly changing field and continually seeks to develop new and better ways to help today’s students learn environmental science.
As a researcher, Jay has published papers in ecology, evolution, animal behavior, and conservation biology in journals ranging from Evolution to Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. As an instructor, he has taught university lab courses in ecology and other disciplines. As a science writer, Jay has authored articles for journals and magazines including Science, New Scientist, BioScience, Smithsonian, and Natural History. By combining his scientific training with prior experience as a newspaper reporter and editor, he strives to make science accessible and engaging for general audiences. Jay holds degrees from Yale University, the University of Arkansas, and the University of Arizona.
Jay lives with his wife, biologist Susan Masta, in Portland, Oregon.
Matthew M. Laposata
Matthew M. Laposata is a professor of environmental science at Kennesaw State University (KSU). He holds a bachelor's degree in biology education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, a masters in biology from Bowling Green State University, and a doctorate in ecology from The Pennsylvania State University.
Matt is the coordinator of KSU's two-semester, general education science sequence Science, Society, and the Environment which enrolls roughly 7,000 students a year. He focuses exclusively on introductory environmental science courses, and has enjoyed teaching and interacting with thousands of non-science majors during his career. He is an active scholar in environmental science education and has received grants from state, federal, and private sources to develop and evaluate innovative curricular materials. His scholarly work has received numerous awards, including the Georgia Board of Regents' highest award for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
He resides in suburban Atlanta with his wife Lisa, and children Lauren, Cameron, and Saffron.