FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYSON EVERY ORDER!
Because Knetbooks knows college students. Our rental program is designed to save you time and money. Whether you need a textbook for a semester, quarter or even a summer session, we have an option for you. Simply select a rental period, enter your information and your book will be on its way!
The consumption and popularity of fish and other seafoods has grown significantly in the past few years. One of the principles drivers has been the perceived health benefits, most prominently the beneficial fatty acid profile and content of many fish, ie polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids (PUFAs). However, due to the high concentration of PUFAs, along with active pro-oxidants, marine lipids are highly vulnerable to oxidation. Lipid oxidation is one of the primary causes of deterioration of fish muscle during storage and negatively affects color, odor and flavour, protein functionality and the overall nutritional content of fish muscle. It is therefore critical to understand the processes behind oxidation and also understand how the natural antioxidant defences of the fish can be exploited to minimize oxidation.
Written by the top researchers in the field, this volume covers:
• lipid oxidation in aquatic foods
• aquatic foods pro- and antioxidant systems
• key pro- and antioxidants derived from aquatic foods
• innovative ways to control lipid oxidation in aquatic foods and food systems with fish oils
• effects of aquatic foods on oxidative stress in the human body
• neurological effects of components derived from aquatic sources
• effects of fish consumption and components from aquatic foods on cardiovascular health
Antioxidants and Functional Components in Aquatic Foods addresses topics of crucial importance in maintaining the quality of aquatic foods and other muscle foods. It also offers an understanding of the health effects of marine food antioxidants on the human body.